By Allan Willy Larsen, Jyske Capital
The following article provides an explanation of the basics and unique features of the Danish covered bond market, to give a deeper insight into the current investment possibilities.
Mortgage Bond Market is one of the oldest and most stable in the world, tracing
its roots all the way back to 1797 with no records of defaults since inception.
Furthermore the market value of the Danish Mortgage Bond Market is app. EUR 391bn,
making it the largest mortgage bond market in Europe.
The Danish Mortgage Bond Market is a unique blend of size, stability, transparency and liquidity, making it viable investment opportunity as explained further by the following points:
- Attractive yields compared to EUR govt and other EUR covered bond
- Largest market in Europe and one of the largest markets in the world with a value of app. EUR 391bn
- Has not experienced a single default since inception in 1797
- Resistant to crises: Issued same amount of bonds at the peak of the economic crisis in the last quarter of 2008 as in the same period in 2007. In the remaining Euro-area, the amount of bonds issued in the last quarter of 2008 was only 2% of the amount issued in 2007
- Unique match-funding principle where there is an exact match of the loan given and underlying bond issued, securing financial stability
- Above AA- credit rating, but most of it AAA rating
- Transparent and standardized market
- Very liquid - Perceived to be only slightly less liquid than government bonds by the European Banking Association